Let's talk goals.
Here are the quick highlights from the video…
- You don’t have to be balanced. You may need to push hard on evangelism, not because you’re abandoning discipleship, but because you need to focus on that muscle.
- Goals without plans are pipe dreams. Too much WOW will burn your people out with vision. Add the right amount of HOW to your goals.
- Choose 3-5 church-wide goals. Most churches have none or too many.
- Write them correctly. You probably know about SMART goals, but my favorite framework is “from x to y by when”.
- Make sure everyone can participate in them. Church-wide goals mean every ministry needs to play a part in them. They won’t be aligned to something that doesn’t affect or involve them.
- Choose a champion. While everyone needs to be involved, goals that don't have a point leader won’t be reached.
- Create a system to keep your goals front and center. Don’t set it and forget it; find a way to keep your goals talked about all the time. The meeting cadence we teach at Church Fuel is my favorite way to infiltrate the everyday with the important.
- What’s at stake? The #1 thing missing from goals (and sermons) is a sense of urgency? What will happen if you DON’T reach them? What’s really at stake here? Failure to communicate this is almost a guarantee they become obscure.
Does your leadership team have success setting and reaching church-wide goals?